Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Helping Homeschool Kids be Financially Self-Sufficient

I am working to select homeschool materials for my kids in preparation for next year.

One of the great things about homeschooling is that you can customize the curriculum you use.

In addition to the normal reading, writing, math, science, etc., I am adding 2 more requirements:

  1. A personal finance course - I feel like every child should learn about money and financial responsibility. Learning about the dangers of unsecured comsumer debt and living within your means are 2 very important lessons to know, and most teens don't learn about it.
  2. Starting a business - The kids have their own blogs and such, and that brings in some money - but I am talking a full business plan and the whole nine yards.

Not sure which programs I am going to choose yet, but when I decide, you'll know. :o)

1 comment:

Homeschool Mother said...

Personal finance would be a great selection for a course. Get up us updated on the progress:)