Thursday, July 31, 2008

Being a well-rounded parent

Growing up, I never really cared about what I learned in school. I did well and studied and all of that, but I never really thought about how it would impact my children.

I am so thankful that I learned music. I can play 5 instruments. I can read music. I can teach my kids the basics on 3 instruments, and I can teach them quite a bit more on the other 2.

I am so glad I took art classes in school. I can teach watercolor, oil pastels, chalk pastels, charcoal drawing, decoupage, batik, and a variety of other techniques and media.

I am thrilled that I learned Spanish in school. I can teach my kids Spanish and also show them how knowing Spanish helps in everyday life. (I have translated for more than one frustrated sales clerk while we are out running errands!)

I am happy I went as far a calculus and college - level Biology and Chemistry. I feel comfortable teaching science through high school.

I am sure you are thinking, "That's great, but what about if you don't know all of that stuff?"

Glad you asked! ;)

There are so many resources out there to help teach your kids. A Google search is all you need to find a resource for just about everything you would want to teach your kids. For example - my son wants to learn Japanese this year! Ack! I don't know Japanese!

But that's okay. I don't need to.

However, I will be learning it along with him. Why? Because I really want to share the experience with him, and it gives me a chance to learn something new.

I encourage you - if your kids are learning something you don't know, learn with them!

It can be a lot of fun. :o)

No comments: