Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Income Ideas - Alicia Bodine

Since many homeschoolers look for ways to make extra money, I will be starting a new feature: Income Ideas.

Here is the first of the series:

I would like to give my thanks to Alicia for being the first to offer her story for Income Ideas.

If you would like to share an idea you have, please email me (Shay) at shaysotheremail@gmail.com.

Shay: Tell me a bit about you and your family.

Alicia: I am a single stay at home, work at home Mom. I have a beautiful blonde 8 year old who is super smart. I currently home school her and she is doing 3rd grade work since she started Kindergarten at the age of 4. I also have a beautiful brown haired 6 year old who has Angelman Syndrome. She attends my local special services school where she can get lots of therapy. I love the school and they take good care of her. She has to visit the nurse daily to keep and eye on her temperature. She also has epilepsy which almost all Angelman children do. She smiles all the time so it is easy for people to fall in love with her. My ex-husband left when the girls were 2 and 8 months old and that was when I was finding out what was wrong with my little one. She sometimes spends two weeks out of each month home sick and there is just no way I could work outside of the home. That is why I turned to the Internet.

Shay: How long have you been home schooling?

Alicia: I have to say I began home schooling since my oldest daughter was born. By the time she was one she knew 50 words. When she was 4 I sent her to my church's Kindergarten which she passed with flying colors. I then proceeded to home school her for 1st and 2nd grade. This year I thought I would give the local Christian School a try, but I hated it. She did the first 2 marking periods there and then I took her out. She received honor roll both times which just proved that I had done a good job at home. I know now that I will be home schooling her until she head off to college.

Shay: What is your business? Tell us about it.

Alicia: I currently run a website called Legitimate Home Based Businesses. I had spent so much time searching for legitimate businesses online and found mostly scams. As I learned how to tell the difference and did my research on each company I decided to add them to my website so that other Moms didn't have to waste time getting started with a business online. I also have a blog for 100% Free to Work at Home jobs and business opportunities. I like doing and getting freebies on the side which is how that blog got started.

Shay: Are the kids involved?

Alicia: My oldest daughter is involved in one of the businesses I do. It's called My Power Mall. She has her own store as they allow any age. She likes to hand out her business cards.

Shay: How do you work your business around homeschooling?

Alicia: When I get up in the morning I check my emails. Then I get my little one ready for her bus which comes around 8:20am. Sometimes I can get an article done before the bus comes, but it depends how early I got up. Then my older daughter and I do a little straightening up. We start school about 8:50 am. When we get to a subject she has to do independently I come over to the computer and get a little advertising done. We usually finish up about 12:30 if all goes well. My youngest gets home around 2:30 so that gives me 2 hours to work while my older one does an art project or plays in her room. I pay attention to my kids through to dinner and then sometimes after dinner they watch some cartoons and I get a little more work done. It really depends if we have church that night or not. So I basically work around my kids and their schedules. I work on Saturday and sometimes if I get a chance on Sunday too. After church of course.

Shay: How can someone learn more about your business?

Alicia: You can visit my website: http://www.homebusinessesthatprofit.com/ or my blog http://workingfree.blogspot.com/. You can email me at bodine_Alicia@yahoo.com anytime if you have questions or need help with anything. I am also on Yahoo IM and my ID is MomofAngelGirl.

Shay: Thank you so much for sharing, Alicia!!

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Homeschooling moms can help with the family budget, but it can be hard work. I'm lucky to have a wonderfully supportive husband, and children who are quite independent learners. Even so, I struggle at times with time management and keeping up to date with writing deadlines.