Saturday, June 14, 2008

"I have heard that you homeschool...."

In the last week since public school has been out, I have had 3 different families ask me about homeschooling.

The conversation always starts the same way: "You homeschool, right? I heard from ______ that you are homeschooling...." They then ask the usual questions:
  • "Is it hard?"
  • "How do you do it?"
  • "How do you teach math/science?"
  • "How do you get started?"
  • "Was it hard to adjust?"
  • "Do you like it?"

My answers?

  • "No, it isn't hard. It's not the easiest thing I have ever done, but it is not hard."
  • "I just do it. I made the decision to homeschool and made a commitment to homeschool for one year. If we didn't like it, we would go to private school. We love it."
  • "I started as a Chemistry major in college. Math and science are easy for me; HOWEVER, there are so many resources available to teach math and science that even if you are terrible in these subjects, you can teach them. There are online classes, DVD's, software and so many other options."
  • "Read all you can about homeschooling. Go to http://www.hslda.org/ and find out the legal requirements for your state. Then do what you need to do legally to start. Then just choose a curriculum."
  • "It wasn't really har for us to adjust. We had a very calm school year. (That's not saying every day is flowers and sunshine!) But it has been an easy transition."
  • "We love it. We would never do anything else. My youngest (who is now 3) will never set foot in a public school (or a private one, for tha matter)."

Homescooling is becoming an option for many parents. They are sick and tired of what the public schools have to offer.

I encourage you to explore homeschooling as an option!

No comments: