Saturday, January 19, 2008

"What do you study?"

This is another question I get a lot.

Please keep in mind that different states have different requirements. To find out more about what is required in your state, please visit the HSLDA site.

In SC, for the grade level my children are in, I am required to teach reading, writing, math, social studies and science. I am free to teach these subjects however I choose and do not have to use any set curriculum.

Personally, in addition to these subjects, I also teach the following:
  • Phonics/Word Study
  • Spelling
  • Language Arts
  • US Geography (which could be under the Social Studies heading)
  • Home Ec (sewing, cooking, etc.)

Next year (when my son is in 7th grade), I will add literature to the list.

Because it takes so much less time to do schoolwork, we can cover a larger number of subjects in any given day. Even with the additional subjects, we are still done by noon most days.

4 comments:

Mrs. Carney said...

What time do you start school? What are the ages of your children? My oldest will be in kindergarten next fall and I am still praying about what to do. I have no idea how I will homeschool a 6 year old, and mother an 18 month and 3 year old. I have enough difficulties just trying to fit in housecleaning, errands, etc. LOL!

Anonymous said...

I am sure you have already addressed this: but what are the requirements to show that you are homeschooling and the progress your children are making? Remember~I am a public school teacher...but I really like working in small groups and one-on-one...no children yet-homeschooling could be a possibility for me in the future...

Shay :o) said...

Hey, Mercedes!

The requirements vary GREATLY from state to state.

For me, I have to keep a portfolio of their work (basically, a sample of their work at the beginning, middle and end of the school) and keep records of their attendance and lesson plans.

I, personally, keep more records than required by law, but that is just me. :o)

If you go to www.hslda.org you can see the requirements for your state.

SC Mom -

We start school usually around 9 am. It takes some coordination for the different ages, but you really do get into a routine!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! As you posted I was reading the HSLDA site-duh, I found out the info there too. Thanks for explaining a little on how you do it!