Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas shopping with Common Sense

Yes, I know I wasn't going to blog until 2008, but I have to. It is my mission in life. It completes me. :D

Actually, I am just going to vent a bit, if that is okay.

(This is where you say, "Suuuuure! Go ahead!")

Thanks! Don't mind if I do! :D

Going into debt for Christmas makes no sense to me. None. Nada. Zip-O. Why spend more than you can afford and then stress over holiday bills in January? I don't get it.

I have a simple system. I put a certain amount in an envelope for each child. When the money is gone, I am done shopping for him/her. Really simple.

If you don't want to carry cash, you could simply keep a running tally on a sheet of paper in your wallet. (I have done it this way, too - 4 columns on a sheet, one for each child.) I start with the amount I want to spend. Let's say $100 for each child. I put $100 at the top of each column. For each purchase I make for that child, I take that amount off of the total. When I get to zero, I am done.

So Christmas is over and paid for. No bills. No stress.

I like it that way.

No comments: