My views on public schools are pretty obvious (read my previous posts), so I will focus on private schools and homeschooling.
I believe private schools are a viable option for education. I think homeschooling is better (which I will explain later), but private schools are a far cry above public schools.
I think private schools do a better job for several reasons:
- They can pick and choose whom they admit - public schools can't.
- They can (and do) remove kids that are disruptive.
- They deal with kids who are disciplinary problems quickly and swiftly.
- They have more contact (in my experience) with parents.
- The curriculum is more challenging.
- They enforce a code of conduct based on Biblical Laws.
They do a better job with less money per student (on average) than public schools. Teachers at public schools tend to make more money than those in private schools. The teachers I know at private schools don't do it for the money - they do it for other reasons: many do it so that their kids can get a reduced tuition rate. AND it is worth the pay cut to be able to teach in a better environment.
Now, why do I think homeschooling is better than private school? A few reasons:
- I am not really keen on the whole "group mentality" thing.
- Time is spent with family, not at school.