Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Another benefit of homeschooling

I have not posted in a while. We had a death in the family and it has been hectic around our house.

One of the benefits I really appreciate during times like these is the flexibility of our schedule. If we need to take a few days off and deal with an emergency or a death in the family, we can do so. As long as the kids get 180 days of schooling in per academic year, we are fine. (Check with your state homeschool associations - different states have different guidelines.)

So, if I want to have the traditional 3 months off in the summer, I can do that.

If I want to have school all year, I can do that.

I am planning on taking off 3 weeks for Christmas. We'll start back around the second week of January.

Some families I know work for 3 weeks and then take a week off. It is a nice, relaxing way to break up the school year.

Yet another benefit of homeschooling that not many people think of. :o)

No comments: